Millie finished in 14th over all place in her preliminary race. This meant that even if her team had not qualified to race in the final race, she would have qualified as an individual to race. Her team did qualify to race (first place again) so she was in for sure, no worries.
It is funny that she finished so well considering she started way in the back. Well, she was supposed to start in the front as one of her team's top runners. And she was on the front line. Until just before they blew the whistle to start the race and she turned around and ran back to her coaches. Rick and I looked at each other and wondered what was going on. She was talking to her coaches as the whistle blew. She finally took off about 20 seconds behind everyone else and started running. I couldn't believe it. She had worked so hard to get back in the top 7 to start up front and now she took off behind everyone else. I asked her coaches what happened and they said she told them she needed to potty. They told her to just run and pee later. Well, I guess it made her run pretty fast because she passed nearly everyone and finished 14th. Then kept running past the finish line and right to the bathroom.
14 must be her standard number because she finished in 14th place for the championship as well and her team finished first place, boys and girls. They did great and I was so proud of Millie's first ever cross country experience. Next year she said she was going to start training before the season starts so she will be in better shape. And she's pretty excited because this year she was a second grader running with grades 2-4. The only girl on her team she never beat was a 4th grader so she has already figured out that she stands a good chance to be her team's top runner next year as a third grader. I guess we shall see.
| Coaches |
| Mrs. Murphy - Principal |
No comments:
Post a Comment