Sunday, May 9, 2010

Darn You Dragon - Fontana, NC


Rick won a free weekend stay at Fontana Village Resort in North Carolina Smokey Mountains from the American Diabetes Association. We thought that would be a nice little get away, only about 1 1/2 hours away and the kids would have a fun time staying in a hotel. Although the resort was beautiful, I highly recommend it, it was not so easy to get to. There is a little road in the Smokies known as The Dragon. It has about a million turns in 11 miles and motorcyclists love to race it and it kills several every year. Well, this is the route that we needed to take to get to the resort, however, it has been closed for several months due to a rock slide so we had to go a different way. This way took us over 3 1/2 hours to get there and over 2 of those hours were in the mountains. If any of you get car sick like I do, you can imagine 2 hours of nothing but hills, curves, more hills with more curves...you get the point. AND, we still did not know it was going to be 3 1/2 hours so we truly began to think we were lost and I was convinced I was going to die before we got there.


Haha, look how happy they all look, little did we know we were not even halfway there yet!


We did finally make it and the views and weather were spectacular. We tried to undertake our first ever geocashing expedition but we failed and never found the cache. This bummed us out, especially Millie so we didn't look for any more.


Millie enjoyed learning about Fontana Dam and Rick and I explained why they built the dam, how they use it to make electricity and what would happen if the dam broke. She was actually pretty interested and had lots of questions.




The resort had lots of activities and of course Rick brought all the bikes along so we rode (I pushed a lot) around the village and played tennis, putt putt and soccer.




I think Millie played about 10 rounds of putt putt. It was still the off season for the resort so unfortunately, many of the shops and restaurants were not open. The one dining option that was open was pretty expensive with very few choices so our free weekend was far from free but we still enjoyed it.

1 comment:

JesB said...

wow, that's really cool!

Related Posts with Thumbnails