We had a big day of birthday parties yesterday but when I went in Millie's room that morning, I noticed she wrote all over her desk. So, before she could go to the birthday parties, I told her she had to clean her desk. She took all the stuff off and then I gave her a wet sponge with a little soap on it. Rick wanted me to give her the magic eraser because it would take it right off. Well, I knew that but 1) I wanted her to have to work at it and 2) I didn't want her using the magic eraser because of the chemicals. I don't know what is in them but they will clean anything so I figured she shouldn't be touching it. So I sat on her bed and read a book while she scrubbed...and scrubbed...and scrubbed some more. She got some of it off but most didn't come off. I let her work at it for about 20 minutes. I figured that was long enough. I have to give her credit, she scrubbed as hard as she could and she really did try to get it clean. I then came in with the magic eraser and took it all off in about 5 seconds. Yes I know, that was a little mean but it was more about the lesson taught and I am certain she learned it. I wanted her to sweat it out a little. And I told her that if it did not come clean, she would not go the birthday parties. Of course, I knew I could get it clean but she didn't know that and I know that is what she was thinking when she was scrubbing her little heart out.
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Lesson Learned - I Hope
We had a big day of birthday parties yesterday but when I went in Millie's room that morning, I noticed she wrote all over her desk. So, before she could go to the birthday parties, I told her she had to clean her desk. She took all the stuff off and then I gave her a wet sponge with a little soap on it. Rick wanted me to give her the magic eraser because it would take it right off. Well, I knew that but 1) I wanted her to have to work at it and 2) I didn't want her using the magic eraser because of the chemicals. I don't know what is in them but they will clean anything so I figured she shouldn't be touching it. So I sat on her bed and read a book while she scrubbed...and scrubbed...and scrubbed some more. She got some of it off but most didn't come off. I let her work at it for about 20 minutes. I figured that was long enough. I have to give her credit, she scrubbed as hard as she could and she really did try to get it clean. I then came in with the magic eraser and took it all off in about 5 seconds. Yes I know, that was a little mean but it was more about the lesson taught and I am certain she learned it. I wanted her to sweat it out a little. And I told her that if it did not come clean, she would not go the birthday parties. Of course, I knew I could get it clean but she didn't know that and I know that is what she was thinking when she was scrubbing her little heart out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment