Saturday, April 3, 2010

Taters Please

Farmers have all kinds of rules. The one I heard the most growing up was "You have to make hay when the sun shines". And boy did we cut and bale lots of hay when I was growing up. The next rule was you have 2 days you can plant potatoes. They either have to be planted on St. Patrick's Day or on Good Friday. Dad missed St. Patrick's Day so on Good Friday, we were planting potatoes. I guess if it would have been raining we would have either planted in the rain or not had potatoes this year. The rules are the rules, you can't mess with them.

Dad got the ground ready with the disc (I have never written or typed that word, is that how you spell it??) Anyway, he disced (sp?) the garden and then rounded up the slave labor to help. We work for food around here :-)


Millie and Jacob loaded their basket with potatoes that Dad had already sliced. We figured they didn't need to help with that part and lose a finger.


After Dad opened a row, he showed Millie and Jacob how to drop the potatoes and how far apart to put them.


Millie was doing a fine job. Dad said he would hire her but I warned her that he doesn't pay his help.


Reed, however, was not offered a job. Maybe a few years buddy.


A fine row of potatoes waiting to be covered.



After the potatoes I set a half row of onions and Dad sowed some spinach. My photos stop here though because after my hands were covered in dirt, I didn't feel it was worth ruining my camera over. This was just the first of the veggies to go in the garden. I can not wait for the tomatoes, peppers, corn, sweet potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, beans, cucumbers, squash, zucchini...ahhh, I really want to move back to Floyd Knobs...

1 comment:

Misty said...

Gaaah! Why can't we plant gardens in Knoxville with our tiny lots and our stupid slanted yards???

Related Posts with Thumbnails