
Even if every single bit of work on the farm is done, there is always wood to make. Yes, I know that sounds strange but on our farm we make wood, not cut it. That is just want we have always said. Usually this is only a winter time job because there isn't much to do during the winter and it is more enjoyable to do it in the winter when it isn't hot. However, this past winter there was so much snow that dad couldn't get up on The Hill to finish it up so we had to finish up this spring.
This is just 2 loads of wood, there were 13 loads all together in just this field that had to be hauled back to the house. If I had to guess, there are probably about 200 loads of fire wood in piles around the farm and stacked neatly in one of the buildings. Before any of you tree huggers get upset, we have NEVER cut down a tree for the sole purpose of fire wood. They have either fallen down on their own (remember Indiana had a huge ice storm and hurricane that helped with this) or they were shading one of dad's fields and needed to be removed.

This is my dad, he loves to make fire wood. So did my grandpa. They also stress about it when they know it needs to be done and can't find help to do it. So, I do my best to help when I am there. Yes, I did help, I didn't just take pictures :-) I kind of like doing it too but I do agree it is a job better suited to the winter even if you do stand a chance of loosing a toe to frost bite.
No comments:
Post a Comment