Sunday, July 11, 2010

Celebrating Reed's Birthday


I like to focus on family adventures and just enjoying each other for the kids' birthdays. I want it to be less about the gifts and more about celebrating life. The day started early by getting up, packing a large picnic lunch and heading to Pigeon Forge. My mom and dad rented a little cottage at a bed and breakfast so we met them there and drove up together to Clingman's Dome. Rick was pretty excited about this because he brought his bike so he could ride back down the mountain. I was worried about a bike being involved because of what happened last year on Reed's birthday but I put my fears aside and figured it would be ok.



By the time we got to Clingman's Dome, we were pretty hungry so we had our picnic in the back of the truck like true mountain men before we made the 1/2 mile walk to the peak. My dad stayed at the truck and waited because he was not able to make the walk but the rest of us headed to the top.

Millie made sure we knew where we were going.


I think Reed's favorite part was walking along the wall.


Millie and Rick went all the way to the top of the observation tower but mom and I stayed with Reed at the base because it was pretty foggy and you couldn't have seen anything anyway.


Rick and Millie walked on down the hill while Mom and Reed decided to take a little detour on the Appalachian Trail.


Then it was back to the truck and down the mountain to pick up the ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins.


Reed and my dad waited patiently while we got things ready for the cake.


Fortunately Rick made it back safely and we all enjoyed some yummy cake.



Then of course, what birthday isn't complete without a few gifts. I don't know which gift Reed was more excited about. The bike Rick and I got him...


...or the tennis racket, balls and play dough my mom and dad got him.


We were prepared and Rick brought tools so he could put the bike together. Reed didn't want to get off the thing the rest of the afternoon.


We spent a few hours at the main house, relaxing on the front porch and enjoying some nice home made deserts and lemonade. I will have more details on that later because this post is getting WAY too long.


After the kids played, Dad fired up the grill outside and we had some brats, dogs, fresh corn from the garden and some squash (one of my favorites).


Reed was helping him get a few sticks.


Once we got everything cleaned up, we packed our stuff and headed back to Knoxville while my parents stayed at the cottage another night. The kids were exhausted and they were asleep before we even got to the main road.


Happy Birthday Reed, I hope you had a great day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails