Before you proceed, please make yourself comfortable, this one's gonna take a while.
Not only will it take a while but it is day late, sorry but I had a rough day yesterday. How you ask? Just site tight and I will catch you all up.
The day started like any normal June day as we loaded up for the drive From Durango to Silverton, Colorado. If you think it looks cold, you are incorrect, it was freezing! Yikes, back to the truck to thaw, dang it was cold.
Fortunately, that was just at the pass and once we got to Silverton the weather was not as bad. It was about 55 degrees and sunny.
Our plan was to do a little hike with Vince and Holly but they discovered that the trails they had planned to take us to were still covered in snow so we decided to nix that plan and we drove on up the Alpine Loop to Animas Forks. Animas Forks is an old ghost town that use to be a bustling mining community but the mine closed as prices dropped and everyone was gone by the 1920's.
You will notice that the route to Animas Forks is called a 'loop' and not a road. This was about an hour of bumping and bouncing to make it to our destination while driving dangerously close to the edge of very steep drop offs.
We made it though with no major problems except for my growing exhaustion from car sickness.
It was totally worth it though because it was beautiful.
Don't ask Reed about the drive because he slept the whole way up and back. I have no idea how he managed to do that!
Millie was excited to have a snow ball fight with Rick, Vince and Holly.
After both kids were finished throwing half the rocks in Colorado into the river, we loaded up and heading back down the loop toward Silverton.
We had just enough time to eat, walk around town just a bit and head toward the train station where the kids, my mom and I would ride the train back down the mountain to Durango passing right through our campsite along the way. Here are a few shots of the town.
On to the train! Because Reed did declare as soon as he woke up that morning that is was "Train Day!" And kept asking over and over..."When will we ride the train? Who will ride the train? Why are we riding the train? Will the train have hook ons?"
Is anyone still reading this? Should I even go on because it's 1am and I am TIRED! Ok, I will keep going.
Finally, we were on the train and ready to take it down the mountain. I had no idea it was going to be 4 hours. Remember the Alpine Loop we had just spent about 2 hours bouncing around on? Not to mention the drive up the mountain to begin with. Well, I sure did because I still didn't feel good. But it was "Train Day" so what was I to do but to ride the train.
It was truly beautiful, even if it did make me feel sick the whole time.
Other than massive amounts of motion sickness at this point for me, the day had been pretty good. But about an hour from Durango, things started going down hill...no pun intended.
The punk kid sitting in front of me (who was out of control the entire ride) decided to take a big drink of orange juice and then spit it all out all over his seat. From there it ran down to the floor and started coming towards Reed and I. I grabbed my camera bag off the floor and set on on the seat by the open window. For some crazy reason, I had put my phone in the top flap on my camera bag and when I put the bag on the seat, the only thing I can figure it the flap flipped open toward the window and my phone fell out the window. So now my phone resides somewhere between Durango and Silverton along the railroad tracks. I am sure some prairie dog has found it and is calling everyone in my phone book. If you get a call from a prairie dog, ask him where my phone is please. I really want it back because it is an antique and they don't make them like that anymore. I am very sad about this. Guess I will have to get one of them there fancy phones that take pictures and stuff, golly.
After departing the train with no phone, I realized I lost an earring. Great, now I don't have a phone and my ears are naked!
In the scheme of things though, none of it was that big of deal. I still had both kids and my mom so that's a good thing. I would rather loose my phone than my camera or wallet, both of which were also in the camera bag. And I would rather loose my earring than my wedding rings. So, being the glass is half full kind of gal that I am, I will just look at it as a reason to finally get a new phone and buy myself a fancy new pair of earrings.
We finally made it back to the trailer and I immediately laid down to try to get over the motions sickness. Thus the reason I am now a day behind blogging this adventure of ours because there was no way I was going through photos last night.
And if anyone is still reading considering I am half asleep right now and I am sure I am making no sense what so every, I will try to get the blog caught up tomorrow. I promise. Good Night!

















No comments:
Post a Comment