Sunday, June 2, 2013

Run for the Berries - Millie's First 5K

Ever since Millie's great cross country season last year, she has been talking about the upcoming season. She wanted to train well before the season started because her goal this year is to be her team's top runner. Their top runner from last year moved on to middle school so she is ready to take her place. I say good for her! This girl has a crazy determination to win and dominate that I just can not relate to. This has clearly not come from my side of the family.



Her school meets are only 1 mile but that would not do for her, she wanted to do a 5K because she said that would make her 1 mile course seem easy. She does have a point.



Our church has an annual picnic called the Strawberry Festival and part of it is a 5K called the Run for the Berries.



She was certain she would win in her age group. Unfortunately, the youngest age group was 14 and under. So considering she was only 7, she still had to compete against girls up to the age of 14. Her time ended up being 33:49. I was watching the girls as they came by me at the finish line trying to guess their ages to figure out what place Millie would be. There were 2 girls I was pretty sure were under 14 but 2 more I couldn't tell. Well, after we waited around for the results, it turned out she came in 4th. But they were 11 and 12 year olds that beat her. They were probably on a middle school cross country team. So I consider her the winner of the 10 and under group which I created myself. Let's face it, they should have had one and I may have to suggest that for next year.







There's my mom finishing. She walked it and finished first in her age group. I think she's throwing up gang signs. And they wonder why Reed went through a stage of doing that. I think I figured it out.



Millie did enjoy her fresh strawberry smoothie after she finished!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails